Okay, the US government did not come out and name China but we all knew who they were talking about, our future industrial overlords. Seriously. Little did we know that similar things would also be taking place within US borders.
Essentially, we have to relinquish our laptop and any electronics with storage capability to border agents at their wills. The following are Onxo posts about this serious matter:
- DHS: Storage Media Seizure
- Homeland Security: Your Data Is Free Game
- Directive Issued to Customs Agents and Officers
- Rules on information security - imagine the nightmare of that "oops, I lost my government issued laptop" excuses or unsecured servers.
- Days a device can be detained.
- Ability to report abuses.
- Owners of data or devices may be present during searches.
- Impact studies in privacy and civil liberties.
Pretty gusty if you ask me.