Amazon Unveils "KINDLE DX" - So, What's In It For You?
- Slim: Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines
- Carry Your Library: Holds up to 3,500 books, periodicals, and documents
- Beautiful Large Display: 9.7" diagonal e-ink screen reads like real paper; boasts 16 shades of gray for clear text and sharp images
- Auto-Rotating Screen: Display auto-rotates from portrait to landscape as you turn the device so you can view full-width maps, graphs, tables, and Web pages
- Built-In PDF Reader: Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go
- Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle DX, anytime, anywhere; no monthly fees, no annual contracts, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
- Books In Under 60 Seconds: You get free wireless delivery of books in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
BatteryLife: Read for days without recharging
- Read-to-Me: With the text-to-speech feature, Kindle DX can read newspapers, magazines, blogs, and books out loud to you, unless the book's rights holder made the feature unavailable
- Big Selection, Low Prices: Over 275,000 books; New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are only $9.99, unless marked otherwise
- More Than Books: U.S. and international newspapers including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, magazines including The New Yorker and Time, plus popular blogs, all auto-delivered wirelessly
- Display: 9.7" diagonal E-Ink® electronic paper display, 1200 x 824 pixel resolution at 150 ppi, 16-level gray scale.
- Size (in inches): 10.4" x 7.2" x 0.38".
- Weight: 18.9 ounces.
- System requirements: None, because it doesn't require a computer.
- Storage: 4GB internal (approximately 3.3GB available for user content).
BatteryLife: Read on a single charge for up to 4 days with wireless on. Turn wireless off and read for up to two weeks. Batterylife will vary based on wireless usage, such as shopping the Kindle Store and downloading content. In low coverage areas or in 1xRTT only coverage, wireless usage will consume battery power more quickly.
- Charge Time: Fully charges in approximately 4 hours and supports charging from your computer via the included USB 2.0 cable.
- Connectivity: EVDO modem with fallback to 1xRTT; utilizes Amazon Whispernet to provide U.S wireless coverage via Sprint's 3G high-speed data network.
: USB 2.0 (micro-USB connector) for connection to the Kindle DX power adapter or optionally to connect to a PC or Macintosh computer. USB Port
- Audio: 3.5mm stereo audio jack, built-in stereo speakers.
- Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), PDF, TXT, Audible (formats 4, Audible Enhanced (AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
- Included Accessories: Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable, battery.
There were times in the past few months when I felt the urge to get the Kindle. But having spent more and more time on the iPod Touch reading books, I felt it to be adequate for leisure reading. I’m glad Amazon is taking the bold steps in expanding the Kindle line. You can see where they’ll want to take this eventually. Just as Apple did with the iPod, Amazon will move beyond Kindle’s main function of reading books and newspapers.
- Kindle DX - $489 (considering it's only $80 more than the original Kindle, this is a good deal)
- Kindle (Latest 6" model) - $369